Severe flooding has been increasing throughout the United Kingdom (UK). Fluvial Innovations (Poole, England) created an infographic to show the types of floods that can occur, the causes of flooding, and the associated costs. Presented data can help public officials, urban and natural resource planners, as well as citizens make sustainable water management decisions for the future.
According to the infographic, in the UK
- 1 in 6 homes, or 5 million residences, are at risk of flooding;
- 2012 was the wettest year on record;
- urbanization, bad farming practices, deforestation, storms, ice and snow melt, and moon phases cause floods;
- on average, annual flooding costs $1.17 billion (£1.1 billion) in damage (England); and
- storms taking place December 2015–January 2016 caused $1.38 billion (£1.3 billion) in damage and caused more than 40% of the affected small businesses to never reopen.