The Water Environment Federation (WEF; Alexandria, Va.) joins the National Association of Clean Water Agencies (NACWA; Washington, D.C.), the Water Environment & Reuse Foundation (WE&RF; Alexandria, Va.), and the WateReuse Association (Alexandria, Va.) in celebrating 61 recipients of the inaugural Utility of the Future (UOTF) Today Recognition Program.
A peer committee of utility leaders selected honorees from the public and private utilities of the U.S., Canada, and Denmark. These utilities demonstrated exceptional progress and performance in the treatment of wastewater and were selected based on how closely they adopted such UOTF practices as water reuse, watershed stewardship, community partnering and engagement, and nutrient recovery. An award ceremony, held Sept. 27 during the Water Environment Federation Technical Exhibition and Conference (WEFTEC®) in New Orleans, will recognize the selected utility honorees.
“Many utilities optimize their operations, consistently meet or exceed their regulatory requirements, and engage their employees and communities in meaningful and productive ways,” said WEF Executive Director Eileen O’Neill. “We are excited about this new opportunity to recognize the achievements of small, medium, and large forward-thinking utilities that are providing sustainable, efficient, and value-added service to their communities.”
For more information, see www.wefnet.org/utilityrecognition or contact UtilityRecognition@wef.org.
Utility of the Future Today Recognition Program 2016 recipients:
- Aarhus (Denmark) Vand
- Albuquerque (N.M.) Bernalillo County Water Utility Authority
- Alexandria (Va.) Renew Enterprises
- Avon Lake (Ohio) Regional Water
- Baltimore City Department of Public Works
- Camden (N.J.) County Municipal Utilities Authority
- City of Fayetteville, Ark.
- Charlotte (N.C.) Water
- City of Cedar Rapids, Iowa
- City of Fond du Lac, Wis.
- City of Grand Rapids, Mich.
- City of Gresham, Ore.
- City of Los Angeles – LA Sanitation
- City of Roseville, Calif.
- City of San Diego Public Utilities Department
- City of San Jose (Calif.) Environmental Services Department
- City of San Luis Obispo (Calif.) Utilities Department
- City of Tacoma (Wash.) Environmental Services
- City of Tucson (Ariz.),Tucson Water
- Clayton County Water Authority (Morrow, Ga.)
- Clean Water Services (Hillsboro, Ore.)
- Daphne (Ala.) Utilities
- Department of Water Resources Gwinnett County (Lawrenceville, Ga.)
- DC Water (Washington, D.C.)
- Downers Grove (Ill.) Sanitary District
- East Bay Municipal Utility District (Oakland, Calif.)
- Fairfax (Va.) County Wastewater Management Program
- Fairfield (Calif.) Suisun Sewer District
- Glenbard Wastewater Authority (Glen Ellyn, Ill.)
- NEW Water (Green Bay, Wis.)
- Hermitage (Pa.) Municipal Authority
- Hampton Roads Sanitation District (Virginia Beach, Va.)
- Kent County Public Works (Dover, Del.)
- King County’s Wastewater Treatment Division (Seattle)
- Knoxville (Tenn.) Utilities Board
- Littleton/Englewood (Colo.) Wastewater Treatment Plant
- LOTT Clean Water Alliance (Olympia, Wash.)
- Metro Vancouver BC Liquid Waste Services (Burnaby, British Columbia)
- Metropolitan Council Environmental Services (St. Paul, Minn.)
- Metropolitan Water Reclamation District of Greater Chicago
- Miami-Dade Water and Sewer Department
- Milwaukee Metropolitan Sewerage District
- Monterey (Calif.) Regional Water Pollution Control Agency
- Murfreesboro (Tenn.) Water and Sewer Department
- Narragansett Bay Commission (Providence, R.I.)
- New York City Department of Environmental Protection
- Orange County Sanitation District (Fountain Valley, Calif.)
- Orange Water and Sewer Authority (Carrboro, N.C.)
- Pima County Regional Wastewater Reclamation Department (Tucson, Ariz.)
- Sacramento (Calif.) Regional County Sanitation District
- San Francisco Public Utilities Program
- Sanitation Districts of Los Angeles County (Whittier, Calif.)
- Santa Rosa (Calif.) Water
- Scottsdale (Ariz.) Water
- Spartanburg (S.C.) Water
- Stevens Point (Wis.) Wastewater Treatment Plant
- Trinity River Authority of Texas (Arlington)
- University Area Joint Authority (State College, Pa.)
- Upper Occoquan Service Authority (Centreville, Va.)
- VCS (Odense) Denmark
- Victor Valley Wastewater Reclamation Authority (Victorville, Calif.)